Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I made it

So I am finally here! I have wanted to get back on this thing but I have not been able to access my internet in my dorm room. I am sure it is not difficult to do but there is a grand canyon size language barrier between me and the people at the Computer Center. Anyway, I feel like I have a million stories to tell already. First the people in China are very nice and friendly. I think they enjoy a waiguoren, or foreigner, trying desperately to speak their language. I was in the student cafeteria and was trying to figure out what to order. I asked someone randomally what some of the different food was. He tried to help me but the only word I could understand was jindan bi, or egg bread. So I ordered it and went to sit down. Then all of a sudden, I noticed the guy was following me and wanted to eat with me. It was very interesting to say the least. We basically only discussed the little bit I could muster in Chinese such as where im from and i think of harbin, etc. I was having some trouble eating my bread with my chopsticks so i picked it up with my left hand to eat it better. Immediately he gave me a dirty look and I was very confused. He then tried to explain to me that the left hand is considered dirty because it is the hand you, how do you say, wipe your business with. I have probably been making these kind of cultural errors continuously for a week now.

Anyway, I do not have a lot of time to write. The school here is incredibly difficult because it is taught all in Chinese so I probably understand about 10% of what is going on. I have a 1 on 1 class about Chinese newspapers with just me and one teacher for two hours!! Im pretty sure she thinks I am the stupidest person in the world because my most common phrase has been ting bu dong, I do not understand. They keep saying that things will get better as time goes on so I hope they are right. As of now, this is the hardes thing I have ever done and I have never been so uncomfortable, frustrated and nervous in school in my entire life. But it can only get better so Im hoping it will.

No comments: